Wednesday, March 4, 2009

MAKING IT ALL WORTHWHILE

Just a quick thought today about selling online. As most online sellers will tell you, this sort of small business definitely has its ups and downs. A sale can come at any moment, anytime of the day and the only sign of it is a message in your inbox. How do you keep your emotions on an even keel when you may have a flurry of activity and then nothing?
There are days that you have a sale or two and you are ecstatic with excitement that someone actually likes your "stuff" enough to pay money for it. Then there are days when you think you may never sell another thing and you keep checking your shop to make sure it's not invisible and the worst part, start doubting your talent! How do you keep going when you are always on this roller coaster ride?

Here's how I handle it:

  1. I've always had a need to create things since I was a small child. If I don't have a project going I feel like something is missing or "off". I will keep creating whether my jewelry sells or not. I love to explore different jewelry techniques and mediums and I'm always trying something new. The main reason I sell is because I just don't have enough arms, ears and necks to wear it all at once!

  2. The second thing is Customer Feedback and this is a BIG deal for me. I usually fret when I send a package off, hoping that my customer will love it as much as I do. I was so excited last Monday, when my Etsy friend and talented jewelry artist, Shi, of Shijewels, loved the ring so much that I made for her, shown above, that she raved about it on her blog. You can read about it here. That one really made my day. And then, I found out that earrings I sold to a gal on Friday are going to be for her wedding. How cool is that? She even said she is going to send me a picture of herself with the earrings and the dress.

So that's it, that's what makes it all worthwhile for me. How about you?

4 comments:

  1. I agree that waiting for sales and not knowing when the next one will be is tough. I also fret when I send out a package and hoping they like their purchase. So far everyone has been happy which in turn just thrills me. That ring is beautiful by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could have written your post...I go thru the same emotions constantly. What keeps me going are the same as you...I love to create and my hands must always be busy. I have met so many great people on line through my sales...that definitely makes it worthwhile also. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the same for many of us. There is something very personal about selling items that you've made with your heart and soul. We each love the pieces we make, and we only hope that others love them just as much.

    This business definitely has it's ups and downs...but the ups far outshine the downs by a long shot. I kind of view it like a dessert...the "cake" are the friends that you make, whether they be customers or fellow Artisans. They brighten your day, make you laugh, and offer their support. The sales...well the sales are the icing on the cake. Together, they make each day that you spend creating that much sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, I thought I was the only one who went through those crazy emotions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts. I treasure each and every comment and look forward to reading what you have to say!