Monday, August 10, 2009

BROKEN HEARTS SAGA PART 1...


Is there a name for a fear of emptying the dishwasher,"Emptydishwasherphobia" perhaps? I think I'm starting to dread this job more and more. I've had my share of broken plates and glasses that have slipped out of my hands and landed on my merciless granite countertop, but now I've broken my very favorite coffee cup! I'd love to tell you that it was a surprise gift from my hubby on Valentines Day and you could all feel extra sorry for me, but I have to be honest and admit that's not the case. It does have sentimental value though, because there is a story behind how I came to have it. Would you like to hear it? I will apologize for the long story. You may opt to skim this part, but men take particular note.

My husband always asks me what I want for Valentines Day expecting me to pronounce some lavish wish like a dozen red roses, a romantic dinner for two or perhaps some fine jewelry. As you know I have plenty of beads and baubles, so much so, that I have to sell it online!. Sorry, I digress!

I replied that year, that I simply wanted a special cup I had seen at Starbucks that had a stainless steel bottom with floating red hearts. Well, Valentines Day rolled around and my sweetheart did not produce the cup! Yes, I was disappointed, but he couldn't figure out why I wanted something so ordinary like a coffee cup. Oh, yes, he had gone to the Starbucks near work and they didn't have any such mug. Oh men, ye of little resourcefulness! So guess what did? I called all the local Starbucks shops in the Kansas City area and lo and behold there was one left which I promptly went to buy (which was half price by then because the special day had come and gone). And that is the story of how I came to own this cup... and now it's broken.

Where do you go when you need to find a rare collectible? Ebay of course! Even my preteen son knows this. I did find one, bought it, and I'm waiting patiently for it to arrive on my doorstep. The reason I'm calling this Part 1 is because I ordered it almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't received it yet. The saga continues...

All of this may seen trivial but it has taught me something. For a broken cup to be the worst part of my day, I would say that I am hugely blessed and life is very good!

Have a great day, and be careful when you empty that dishwasher!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your favorite coffee cup but hopefully the one from eBay makes it to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! I like your perspective and you're so right. HOWEVER, I sure hope your cup arrives soon! :) What a cute thing and very resourceful of your son to think of that! And good for you for going and GETTING the cup instead of martyring (which is what I would be tempted to do - well, maybe USED to be tempted). I didn't have that much fun. I'm WAY more into fun now even if it means shopping for myself! GFY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debora, isn't ebay the best...I'm so glad you were able to replace your favorite mug.

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been complaining about how long it's taking to scrape the various layers of paint off the outside of our house, for about a year now... and then I think to myself... If all I have to complain about, is that my husband wants to do a good job on it... well, then I don't have much to complain about do I?
    :D

    life is bliss, when we take the time to see it for what it is... ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, if a coffee cup breaking is the worst part of the day - you are blessed with a good day!

    I hope that mug comes soon. I know all too well about favorite mugs =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pooor broken mug - may your cup run over again soon x
    Nic x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your thoughts. I treasure each and every comment and look forward to reading what you have to say!